Contract Airline Services


"We are the protagonists of our stories called life, and there is no limit to how high we can fly."


PHD. MBA. MHS. Type rated on A350, A330, B777, B747-400, B747-200, B757, B767, B737, B727. International Airline Pilot / Author / Speaker. Dedicated to giving the gift of wings to anyone following their dreams. Supporting Aviation Safety through training, writing, and inspiration. Fighting for Aviation Safety and Airline Employee Advocacy. Safety Culture and SMS change agent.

Friday, March 10, 2017

Freedom in America

To Give Dreams Flight! 


Lily Schwartz

Friday's Fabulous Flyer! 

Lily Schwartz is one of most amazing women I know. And I know some pretty amazing women. Lily has confidence, strength and determination. But more than that, she is honest, filled with compassion, and has integrity. Lily is a pilot, a woman, a friend, a mother and she doesn't sacrifice her ethics. Lily has inner strength.

Lily, Karlene and Kathy at WAI in 2017


"My first word was plane 
and my first love was the sky" 

"I could think of nothing greater than to pursue to earn my WINGS. I am fortunate enough to have  my dream come to fruition but my journey was not an easy one."


Lily grew up in Iraq, where a woman simply did not become a pilot. She excelled in school, and many career options were available. All but the one that she wanted... to fly. Everyone told her that flight school was for boys, but she never believed that. As she says, "I struggled against the current for a while." But she knew her dreams would not come to life in Iraq and had to leave.  

"I left Iraq for the land of freedom and opportunity 
to make AMERICA my home."

Leaving her family was the hardest thing she had to do. Yet, she purchased a one-way ticket, and left not only her family and friends, but the only life she knew. Lily was only twenty years old when she made this journey, but wise enough to know the life she desired was in the land of opportunity. Still, could you imagine moving to a foreign country alone, faced with the unknown? Not many people have that kind of courage. 

New York Flying Club with Injured Soldiers 

"I arrived in America 
with only the clothes on my back, 
$150 in my pocket, 
and a DREAM!"

"But soon I had a whole new life 
I couldn’t imagine having!"

But the truth is, she did imagine having this life. That belief is what fueled her dreams and gave her courage. Today, flying in and out of JKF has an entirely different meaning to Lily than most pilots. This was where she first stepped foot into America, and each time she walks through the terminal she remembers what this country means to her.

Flight Attendant Training 2000

"In a few years, my career in Aviation started as an In-flight Crew Member with JetBlue in October 2000. Nobody at JetBlue told me that a "Woman couldn't Fly" and I received nothing but support and friendship from all the pilots during my 13 years with the JetBlue family.

I left the company to pursue my dream as a pilot but I will always be proud of the work I did and grateful to JetBlue for giving me the first taste of the sky!"

Lily and her incredible family

"Meanwhile, I met and married my amazing husband and my strongest supporter, together we raised a family of 5 boys on Long Island, NY while pursuing my Aviation Career as a Pilot.

I started my flight training in 2010 in NY. And from there I went to earn all my Pilot Ratings and became the first Iraqi born Commercial Female Pilot." 

Lily Schwartz

Flying Youth

Lily works for North American Charter from Islip Airport in NY. She is also flying as a formation pilot with the Israeli-New York Flying club. She is a member of women in aviation and she had the great opportunity to share her passion and inspire others at the WAI 2017 conference last week. She is spreading the word on an international level that "Girls can become Pilots" and she is lighting the way for all of us. I'm sure her next adventure is about to begin as she works toward her airline job that will be so much deserved. Way to go Lily! 


Enjoy the Journey!
XO Karlene

Author of 

5 comments:

  1. Wow that is some strong woman! I sure would like to meet her someday.
    I envy you for meeting such inspiring and special people:)
    XOX An

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Analons! I will be honored to meet you!!

      Delete
    2. An, Thank you so much for your comment! You will meet her. We'll do a New York visit and you can fly there!

      Delete
  2. Lily is amazing, and I feel so privileged to have met her at Women in Aviation. Plus I had dinner with her, twice! Her integrity, courage, honesty, and persistence are inspiring! GO Lily! Hope I see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Kathy! Yes... she is amazing, as you are. How lucky am I to be surrounded by strong women with integrity? Life is awesome!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! If your comment doesn't appear immediately, it will after I land. Enjoy the journey!